RRS Frederick Russell FR1/84
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Frederick Russell (74GG)|
|Cruise period||1984-01-05 — 1984-01-30|
|Port of departure||Falmouth, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Falmouth, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1) To recover SMBA and MAFF moorings L1, L2, L3 and L4 on Porcupine Bank.
2) To deploy two Bidston tide gauges at station YP in the Porcupine Sea Bight.
3) To recover SMBA moorings F and M and Bidston tide gauge N1 in the Rockall Channel.
4) To recover SMBA moorings V and W near the Wyville Thomson Ridge.
5) To service the UCNW moorings HS1 and M2 on the Scottish Continental Shelf.
6) To deploy four SMBA satellite-tracked drogues between station F and the Anton Dohrn Seamount. In addition, another drogue to be deployed on the eastern slope of Anton Dohrn.
7) To collect caesium samples for MAFF and Glasgow University.
|Chief scientist||Anton Edwards (Scottish Marine Biological Association), Colin R Griffiths (Scottish Marine Biological Association), Joseph M Graham (Scottish Marine Biological Association)|
|Cruise report||(0.17 MB)|
|General||North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 60|
Description: S surface only
|Current meters||Quantity: number of stations = 13|
Description: 8 c.m.recovered;138 days
|Surface drifters/drifting buoys||Quantity: number of deployments = 5|
Description: satellite tracked drogues;radio transmission to satellite
|Sea level (inc. bot. press., inverted echosounder)||Quantity: number of stations = 2|
Description: tide gauges
|Instrumented wave measurements||Quantity: number of stations = 1|
|Isotopes||Quantity: number of samples = 28|