1. To obtain values for the sediment community oxygen demand in cores obtained by, and incubated in, the SMBA multiple corer.
2. To obtain a series of SMBA multiple core samples at 500m intervals from 500m to 4500m for meiofaunal abundance and diversity studies.
3. To obtain a series of SMBA multiple cores samples at 1300m for further studies of the vertical distribution of foraminiferans and komoki.
4. To obtain SMBA multicore samples at 1300m for diversity and small scale distribution of harpacticoid copepods.
5. To obtain a series of SMBA multiple core samples for further study of horizontal distributions of foraminiferans, xenophyophores and komoki.
6. To deploy a string of sediment traps designed to provide data on vertical fluxes of organic material into the deep sea.
7. To grapple for Bathysnap deployed on Cruise 517 (Challenge 6/83), and which subsequently failed to release.
8. To deploy Bathysnaps to record arrival on the bottom of phytodetritus following the spring phytoplankton boom.
9. To perform photosledge hauls on the Pheronema ground at 1300m.
10. To take epibenthic sledge hauls at 1300m for Pheronema and Dorhynchus and on the upper slope for Munida.
11. To monitor phytoplankton abundance using a continuously running fluorometer.
12. To obtain echosounder records for future incorporation onto bathymetric charts.
Michael H Thurston (Institute of Oceanographic Sciences Wormley Laboratory)
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
Other dissolved gases
Other chemical oceanographic measurements
Biology and fisheries
Phytoplankton pigs (eg chlorophyll, fluorescence)
Quantity: number of stations = 5 Description: survey:foraminifora taxonomy,distribution,O2 consumption