FRV Scotia 0884S
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||FRV Scotia (749S)|
|Cruise period||1984-07-06 — 1984-07-25|
|Port of departure||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To participate in an ICES-coordinated acoustic and midwater trawling survey of herring in the northwestern North Sea.
2. To obtain samples of herring for biological analysis.
3. To investigate the possibility of identifying echotraces using TV and still cameras mounted on a towed underwater vehicle.
4. To obtain samples of intestinal tract of herring for the NERC Institute of Marine Biochemistry.
5. To collect data on individual weights of herring.
6. To collect herring ovaries for fecundity sfudies.
7. To collect herring pyloric caeca for parasitological investigations.
8. To collect water samples for radio-caesium monitoring.
|Chief scientist||Roger S Bailey (Department of Agriculture and Fisheries for Scotland Aberdeen Marine Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.10 MB)|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Specific||Orkney, Shetland, Moray Firth, northeast Scotland|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 48|
Description: surface only
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of samples = 3|
Description: water samples for radio-caesium analysis.
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytoplankton pigs (eg chlorophyll, fluorescence)||Quantity: number of samples = 92|
|Mammals and reptiles|
|Pelagic fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 31|
Description: for distribution and population structure data on herring.
|Acoustic reflection on marine organisms.|