RV Cirolana CIR1/85
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1985-01-05 — 1985-01-22|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To participate in the ICES coordinated herring and larval survey of regions IVC and VIID during the two sampling periods 1-15 January and 16-31 January.
2. To sample herring larvae and their potential food organisms in a study of their diet.
3. To sample potential herring larvae predators and to examine their gut contents on board.
4. To sample herring larvae, other zooplankters and phtoplankton for lipid analysis, with emphasis on polyunsaturated fatty acids.
5. To take water samples using the ships pump and analyse on board for dissolved sulphur gases using gas chromatography.
6. To monitor sub-surface water continuously for temperature, salinity and chlorophyll 'a' fluorescence.
7. To run the MS44 echo sounder continuously throughout the plankton survey and to fish for herring on suitable traces using the Engel trawl
|Chief scientist||John H Nichols (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.29 MB)|
|Specific||S. North Sea/ E. English Channel|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 6|
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 202|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytoplankton||Quantity: number of samples = 219|
|Zooplankton||Quantity: number of samples = 219|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 15|