RV Cirolana CIR8/85
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1985-09-20 — 1985-10-11|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||South Shields, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To participate in the ICES coordinated herring larval survey of region IVB during the two sampling periods 16-30 September and 1-15 October.
2. To study drift and mortality of herring larvae in the area from hatching through their planktonic phase.
3. To study herring larvae diet including the availability of food organisms.
4. To study the vertical distribution of herring larvae in relation to food organisms and potential predators.
5. To sample herring larvae, other zooplankton and phytoplankton for lipid analysis, with emphasis on polyunsaturated fatty acids.
6. To sample potential herring larvae predators and to examine their gut contents on board.
7. To collect samples of herring larvae for subsequent analysis of feeding status.
8. To monitor sub-surface water continuously for salinity and chlorophyll 'a' fluorescence and to take some measurements in profile.
9. To conduct sea trials on the performance of the HP 9000 compouter.
10. To use the neuston net at 9 selected stations to look for turbot larvae. No turbot larvae were taken in any of these hauls.
|Chief scientist||John H Nichols (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.31 MB)|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Specific||W. Central North Sea|
|Surface drifters/drifting buoys||Quantity: number of deployments = 2|
Description: Argos satellite buoys
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytoplankton||Quantity: number of samples = 316|
|Zooplankton||Quantity: number of samples = 316|
|Neuston||Quantity: number of hauls = 8|
Description: half hour tows
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 4|
Description: Engel trawls.