RV Clione CLI4/86
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Clione (74CN)|
|Cruise period||1986-03-12 — 1986-04-01|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To conduct a baseline survey of concentrations of trace metals in seawater from coastal and offshore areas. This completes the survey begun on CLIONE 4/85 carried out in connection with the ICES Baseline Survey of Contaminants.
2. To carry out a preliminary survey of cadmium and mercury concentrations in seawater around the sewage sludge and dredged spoil disposal sites, prior to an in-depth survey of their distribution in Liverpool Bay.
3. To analyse samples of coastal and offshore water from various locations for hydrocarbons, also as an input to the ICES survey (Aim 1).
4. To collect samples of suspended particulate material from 1 or 2 sites in the eastern Irish Sea for hydrocarbon analysis, in connection with studies of the impact of development of the Morecambe Bay gas field.
5. To recover the NBVR tetrapod, currently deployed off St Bees Head.
6. If time allows, to recover, service and replace current meter arrays (6) currently deployed in the eastern Irish Sea.
|Chief scientist||Robin John Law (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Burnham Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.11 MB)|
Irish Sea and St. George's Channel
Bay of Biscay
|Specific||English Channel/ Irish Sea/ Western Approaches|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 215|
|Phosphate||Quantity: number of stations = 114|
|Nitrate||Quantity: number of stations = 114|
|Nitrite||Quantity: number of stations = 114|
|Silicate||Quantity: number of stations = 114|
|Other chemical oceanographic measurements||Quantity: number of samples = 86|
Description: subsurface (1m) for hydrocarbon analysis.