FRV Scotia 0186S
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||FRV Scotia (749S)|
|Cruise period||1986-01-03 — 1986-01-22|
|Port of return||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To work hydrographic sections in the Faroe-Shetland Channel and obtain particulate samples for heavy metal analysis.
2. To lay two current meters near Sule Skerry and to do associated hydrography.
3. To do a hydrographic survey of the Clyde Basin.
4. To obtain radio caesium samples at selected sites.
5. To conduct a hydrographic survey of the Clyde Basin and the North Channel.
6. To uplift and replace current meter moorings in the Clyde.
7. To collect samples of sea water, sediment and benthos from the Garroch Head sludge dumping ground and adjacent areas for metal analyses.
8. To collect fish samples from selected parts of the Clyde Basin for metal analyses.
|Chief scientist||J H Anthony Martin (Department of Agriculture and Fisheries for Scotland Aberdeen Marine Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(1.65 MB)|
Inner Seas off the West Coast of Scotland
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Specific||Orkney, north of Scotland, Minches, Firth of Clyde|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 115|
|Current meters||Description: recovered; 769 hours of data.|
|Phosphate||Quantity: number of stations = 57|
|Nitrate||Quantity: number of stations = 57|
|Total - N||Quantity: number of stations = 6|
|Suspended matter||Quantity: number of stations = 100|
|Trace metals||Quantity: number of stations = 50|
|Contaminants in organisms||Quantity: number of stations = 50|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Particulate organic matter (inc POC, PON)||Quantity: number of stations = 38|
|Zoobenthos||Quantity: number of samples = 13|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Quantity: number of samples = 13|
|Core - soft bottom||Quantity: number of cores = 36|
Description: 6 physical/36 chemical analysis