FRV Scotia 0686S
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||FRV Scotia (749S)|
|Cruise period||1986-06-13 — 1986-07-03|
|Port of departure||Greenock, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To carry out a survey for mackerel eggs on the spawning ground of the 'western' mackerel stock.
2. To sample mackerel concentrations in the spawning area.
3. To obtain mackerel ovaries for fecundity determination.
4. To investigate egg development rates at a range of temperatures.
5. To monitor temperature, salinity and chlorophyll in the sampling area.
6. To classify and quantify plankton types in the sampling area.
7. To obtain samples for radio-caesium monitoring.
8. To interface the MNS 2000 navigational system via a Chameleon controller with the monitors and RS232 ports in the scientific spaces.
|Chief scientist||Peter Hopkins (Department of Agriculture and Fisheries for Scotland Aberdeen Marine Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.11 MB)|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Specific||Continental shelf south and west of Ireland and west of Scotland, north coast of Scotland and NW North Sea|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 177|
Description: surface only; 150 with surface salinity
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of samples = 3|
Description: water samples taken for radio-caesium analysis.
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytoplankton pigs (eg chlorophyll, fluorescence)||Quantity: number of stations = 177|
|Zooplankton||Quantity: number of stations = 177|
|Eggs and larvae||Quantity: number of stations = 177|
|Pelagic fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 10|
Description: distribution, description of communities