RV Cirolana CIR8/87
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1987-09-22 — 1987-10-12|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To participate in the ICES coordinated herring larvae study in region IVB.
2. To study drift growth and morality of herring larvae.
3. To examine the vertical distribution of herring larvae in relation to water masses and movement.
4. To sample herring larvae and their potential food organisms in a study of their diet and feeding status.
5. To identify herring larvae predators.
6. To collect sediment samples for sediment transportation studies (AEP2).
7. To collect sediment and water samples for 234Th/238U disequilibria measurements, to study particle scavenging and resuspension.
|Chief scientist||John H Nichols (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.23 MB)|
|Specific||W. Central North Sea|
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 184|
|Current meters||Quantity: number of deployments = 2|
Description: 2 deployed;1 day
|Surface drifters/drifting buoys||Quantity: number of deployments = 3|
Description: argos satellite buoys launched
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytoplankton||Quantity: number of stations = 180|
|Zooplankton||Quantity: number of stations = 180|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Quantity: number of samples = 141|
|Core - soft bottom||Quantity: number of cores = 4|