RRS Frederick Russell FR16/87
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Frederick Russell (74GG)|
|Cruise period||1987-07-13 — 1987-07-31|
|Port of departure||Plymouth, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Plymouth, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To study the interaction between light and nutrient limitation of primary production.
2. To carry out experiments on the time-based biochemical and photosynthetic response of the phytoplankton in the euphotic zone of the stratified region (Station E5) to pulsed increments in nutrient concentrations.
3. To determine the spatial and vertical distribution of alkaline phosphatase activity in relation to chlorophyll concentrations and phosphate availability.
4. To measure the photosynthetic activity of natural populations of Gyrodinium aureolum at different light levels using in vitro changes in dissolved oxygen and CO2 uptake rates.
5. To examine how the availability of phosphate in sediments depends upon the physical and chemical nature of the particulates.
6. To measure the concentration of amino acids present in the English Channel in the summertime.
|Chief scientist||Anthony G Davies (Marine Biological Association of the UK)|
|Cruise report||(0.26 MB)|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 10|
Description: T only
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 68|
Description: CTD data probably lost
|Optics (eg underwater light levels)||Description: light profiles|
|Phosphate||Quantity: number of stations = 17|
|Total - P|
|Nitrate||Quantity: number of stations = 14|
Description: cont. recording
|Ammonia||Quantity: number of stations = 12|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytoplankton pigs (eg chlorophyll, fluorescence)||Description: cont. chlorophyll recording|
|Phytoplankton pigs (eg chlorophyll, fluorescence)||Quantity: number of stations = 18|
|Geology and geophysics|