FRV Scotia 0487S
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||FRV Scotia (749S)|
|Cruise period||1987-04-22 — 1987-05-12|
|Port of departure||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To carry out an acoustic survey for herring in the central and northern North Sea.
2. To collect samples for racial studies on North Sea herring.
3. To collect biological data on North Sea mackerel.
4. To collect stomachs for a study on the potential impact of herring and mackerel predation on other fish stocks.
5. To collect plankton samples for data on available prey.
6. To test and develop the multidepth plankton sampler.
7. To collect samples of fish for parasitological studies and for calorimetry studies.
8. To collect water samples for radio caesium monitoring.
9. To measure the amounts of dimethyl sulphide produced by certain species of phytoplankton (UEA).
10. To record seabird abundances and distributions (NCC).
11. To test the ability of the plankton winch to haul an Isaacs Kidd Net.
|Chief scientist||Peter Hopkins (Department of Agriculture and Fisheries for Scotland Aberdeen Marine Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.11 MB)|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Specific||Northern North Sea, Orkney, Shetland|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 35|
Description: surface salinity only
|Other dissolved gases|
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of stations = 8|
Description: water samples taken for radio-caesium analysis.
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytoplankton pigs (eg chlorophyll, fluorescence)|
|Birds||Quantity: activity duration in hours = 68|
Description: spent recording seabird abundances at sea.
|Demersal fish||Description: biomass determination|
|Acoustic reflection on marine organisms.|