RRS Challenger CH26
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Challenger (74CH)|
|Cruise period||1988-03-10 — 1988-03-29|
|Port of departure||Troon, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Barry, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. Deploy 6 moorings and two bottom pressure recorders at the Hebrides Shelf edge.
2. Deploy 2 acoustic doppler current profilers, and recover after 7 or more days (neap to spring tides).
3. CTD and shipborne acoustic doppler survey across the continental slope (300m to 1850m).
4. Side-scan sonar survey of Hebrides shelf edge near 58N.
5. Box cores and bottom photographs from the same area.
6. Surface temperature and conductivity continuous sampling underway on passage.
7. Recover 2 offshore pressure recorders from Bristol Channel.
8. Recover Sediment Transport and Boundary Layer Equipment from Bristol Channel.
|Chief scientist||John Huthnance (Institute of Oceanographic Sciences Bidston Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.62 MB)|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Specific||N Atlantic - off Hebrides; Bristol Channel|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Quantity: number of measurements = 1000|
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 65|
|Current meters||Quantity: number of deployments = 24|
Description: deployed only
|Current profiler (eg ADCP)||Quantity: track kilometres = 1852|
Description: disk,Shipborne acoustic doppler current profiles
|Geology and geophysics|
|Core - soft bottom||Quantity: number of deployments = 6|
|Bottom photography||Quantity: number of deployments = 9|
|Long/short range side scan sonar||Quantity: track kilometres = 185|