RV Cirolana CIR5/88
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1988-05-19 — 1988-06-08|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To conduct a detailed study of Liverpool Bay, the Outer Mersey Estuary and Morecambe Bay for dissolved and total mercury in seawater.
2. To collect and analyse samples of seawater for dissolved and total mercury from the Humber, Tees and Tyne estuaries.
3. To collect and analyse for dissolved and total mercury from offshore and coastal areas. This will include sampling at the ICES reference station at 60º30'N 5º00'W.
4. To conduct a bilateral intercomparison exercise for mercury in seawater between MAFF and IFREMER. This will include both sampling and analysis.
5. To collect samples of seawater for the analysis of trace metals other than mercury, particularly zinc, from the ICES reference station and other selected sites not sampled during the ICES Baseline Survey 1985-7.
6. To collect surface sediment samples from the vicinity of the Ravenspurn gas field development, approximately 40 miles east of Flamborough Head.
7. To carry out a study of the dispersion of the oily water discharge plume from the Texaco oil field, 70 miles northeast of Aberdeen, using a towed fluorimeter.
8. To collect samples of seawater, suspended particulate material and surface sediment for analysis of various trace organics, including organochlorine pesticides, chloroboiphenyls, coprostanol, nonyl phenols and hydrocarbons.
9. To collect samples of surface sediment along a transect in Liverpool Bay for analysis of methyl mercury.
The majority of the aims were successfully completed with the exception of aim 7.
|Chief scientist||Robin John Law (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Burnham Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.21 MB)|
Irish Sea and St. George's Channel
|Specific||English Channel/ North Sea/Irish Sea|
|Track charts||(0.04 MB)|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 231|
Description: surface only 29 with S only
|Phosphate||Quantity: number of stations = 231|
|Nitrate||Quantity: number of stations = 231|
|Nitrite||Quantity: number of stations = 231|
|Silicate||Quantity: number of stations = 231|
|Trace metals||Quantity: number of stations = 17|
|Other contaminant measurements||Quantity: number of stations = 8|
|Other contaminant measurements||Quantity: number of stations = 7|
|Other contaminant measurements||Quantity: number of stations = 120|
Description: various organic contaminants
|Other contaminant measurements||Quantity: number of stations = 125|