RV Cirolana CIR9/88
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1988-10-28 — 1988-11-17|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To determine the distribution and inventory of transuranic and gamma-emitting artificial radionuclides in the sediments of the Irish Sea.
2. To determine the distribution of transuranic and Cs radionuclides in filtered seawater and suspended particulates.
3. To investigate the effects of tidally-induced resuspension of sediment on the scavenging of dissolved radionuclides. An anchor station, WSW of St Bee's Head, will be occupied for 24 hours. The tetrapod (NBVR) will be deployed nearby.
4. To determine the variation of the chemical charcteristics and processes, and radium concentrations, in pore waters with depth in sediment.
5. To collect sediment cores from the Solway Firth to examine the distributions of Th-234/U-238 and Pb-210/Ra-226.
6. To collect water samples for C-14 analysis at SURRC, East Kilbride, in support of a NERC/MAFF CASE studentship.
7. To extend past surveys of benthic infauna to determine the degree and extent of bioturbation.
8. To collect sediment samples to be used in laboratory studies.
|Chief scientist||Dennis S Woodhead (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.16 MB)|
|General||Irish Sea and St. George's Channel|
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 100|
Description: calibration S only CTD
|Other physical oceanographic measurements||Quantity: number of deployments = 2|
Description: near bed velocity recorder
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of samples = 42|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Quantity: number of samples = 14|
|Core - soft bottom||Quantity: number of cores = 87|
Description: Reineck or Kaston cores.