FRV Scotia 0488S
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||FRV Scotia (749S)|
|Cruise period||1988-04-14 — 1988-05-03|
|Port of departure||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To carry out an acoustic survey of herring in the North Sea.
2. To collect biological data on North Sea mackerel.
3. To record the incidence of fish eggs and larvae in herring and mackerel stomachs.
4. To test and develop the OCEAN multidepth sampler system.
5. To test a towed body to house a dual beam transducer.
6. To collect water samples for radio-caesium monitoring.
|Chief scientist||J R Hutcheon (Scottish Office Agriculture and Fisheries Department Aberdeen Marine Laboratory), Peter Hopkins (Scottish Office Agriculture and Fisheries Department Aberdeen Marine Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.09 MB)|
|Specific||Central and northern North Sea|
|Track charts||(0.02 MB)|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Description: surface temperature and salinity logged throughout the cruise.|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 21|
Description: surface salinity only
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of stations = 3|
Description: water samples for radio-caesium analysis.
|Biology and fisheries|
|Pelagic fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 16|
Description: distribution, monitoring
|Acoustic reflection on marine organisms.|