RV Cirolana CIR7/89
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1989-08-11 — 1989-09-12|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Wallsend, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To carry out a groundfish survey of the North Sea using a standard Graton tralw in order to obtain information on:
(a) Distribution and abundance of all fish species
(b) Length and age distribution of commercially important species
© Distribution of fish in relation to their environment
(d) Distribution of macrobenthos
(e) Prevalence of disease in dab.
2. To collect fish and water samples for Caesium analysis from a grid of stations in the North Sea.
3. To carry out a survey of Caesium in sea water in the Skagerak.
4. To collect a sample of 30 haddock for meristies, enzyme analysis and mitochondrial DNA analysis (K Zwanenburg, Canada).
5. To collect samples of scad blood and muscle tissue from south of 56ºN and north of 58ºN (Dr J Casey).
6. To collect five sediment samples from an area close to the Ling Bank (Dr H Rees).
7. To evaluate the use of the Simrad ES400 colour sounder and printer as a tool in the investigation of the relationship between scattering layers and groundfish abundance.
8. To collect fish samples for AEP2 contaminatns studies (A Franklin).
9. To collect fish for fish identification courses (A Watson).
10. To collect small gadoids/sprats of fish food (Dr P Bromley).
|Chief scientist||W G Parnell (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.10 MB)|
|Specific||Skagerrak/ North Sea|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 16|
Description: surface S only
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of samples = 65|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 91|
Description: Granton trawl hauls.