RV Cirolana CIR9/89
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1989-11-07 — 1989-12-04|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To further investigate an area of anomalously high metals concentrations near to the Outer Well Bank, at the Southern edge of the Dogger Bank, previously identified during CLIONE cruises 13/86 and 3/87.
2. To carry out a survey of HCH (hexachlorocyclohexane) isomers, including lindane (gamma HCH), in the Southern Bight, English Channel and Irish Sea. This follows on from work carried out immediately after the sinking of MV PERINTIS earlier in the year.
3. To collect and analyse samples of seawater from coastal and offshore locations for Cd, Cu, Pb and Hg, with particular emphasis on Liverpool Bay. This will include an intensive survey of Cd in water and sediments around Whitehaven - a hotspot identified on CIROLANA cruise 4b/87.
4. To collect samples of surface sediment from offshore locations in preparation for the JMG sediment monitoring programme to be undertaken in 1990.
5. To collect samples of seawater from offshore locations for analysis of tributly tin, as part of the current monitoring programme.
6. To collect samples of seawater and surface sediment for anaylsis of various trace organic compounds. These will include coprostanol, nonyl phenols, chlorobenzenes and a range of industrial and Red List compounds.
7. To carry out a survey of hydrocarbons in coastal and offshore waters using a new HPLC technique, and to compare results obtained by this method with those derived from fluorescence spectrometry.
8. To collect a series of sediment cores in Liverpool Bay to be analysed at SMBA as part of CSG=funded research project.
9. To collect samples of surface sediment along a transect in Liverpool Bay for analysis of methyl mercury.
10. To collect samples of surface sediment from stations in the vicinity of the Southern gas fields (off North Norfolk) for hydrocarbon analysis.
11. To collect seawater samples off the River Dee for phenol analysis.
12. To collect, and analyse by HPLC, seawater samples for linear alkylbenzene sulphonate sufactants in Liverpool Bay.
13. To collect samples of flatfish and surface sediment from the vicinity of the Rame Haed disposal ground off Plymouth.
14. To collect samples of seawater from south of the Isle of Man for oxygen isotope analysis.
|Chief scientist||Robin John Law (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Burnham Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.22 MB)|
Irish Sea and St. George's Channel
|Specific||North Sea, English Channel, Irish Sea|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 199|
Description: S surface only
|Phosphate||Quantity: number of stations = 168|
|Nitrate||Quantity: number of stations = 165|
|Nitrite||Quantity: number of stations = 109|
|Silicate||Quantity: number of stations = 168|
|Suspended matter||Quantity: number of stations = 46|
|Trace metals||Quantity: number of stations = 142|
|Chlorinated hydrocarbons||Quantity: number of stations = 35|
|Other dissolved substances||Quantity: number of stations = 168|