RRS Discovery D180
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Discovery (74E3)|
|Cruise period||1989-01-20 — 1989-02-04|
|Port of departure||Barry, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Barry, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To sample surface and subsurface radiocaesium and obtain CTD profiles at ten standard positions between the Sound of Mull and the shelf-edge, and to sample caesium at the surface of the North Channel.
2. To service the SMBA current emter mooring in the Tiree Passage.
3. To work the Anton Dohrn Seamount (Ellett Line) CTD section.
4. To obtain Craib corer or Shipek grab samples at a slecetion of sites upon the shelf and in deep water.
5. To sample midwinter temperature and salinity conditions by CTD in the NE Atlantic between Rockall, 53 30'N, 28W and the Porcupine Seabight.
6. To obtain surface chlorophyll and nutrient samples west of Britain as a preliminary to the 1989 BOFS cruises.
7. To obtain surface seawater from the Porcupine Seabight region for the Standard Seawater Service.
|Chief scientist||David J Ellett (Scottish Marine Biological Association)|
|Cruise report||(0.20 MB)|
|General||Inner Seas off the West Coast of Scotland|
|Specific||West of Scotland and Ireland|
|Track charts||(0.02 MB)|
|Bathythermograph||Quantity: number of profiles = 11|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 72|
Description: S surface and bottom
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 46|
|Current meters||Quantity: number of deployments = 2|
|Total - P||Quantity: number of stations = 22|
|Nitrate||Quantity: number of stations = 22|
|Nitrite||Quantity: number of stations = 22|
|Silicate||Quantity: number of stations = 22|
|Isotopes||Quantity: number of samples = 10|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Core - soft bottom||Quantity: number of cores = 2|