RRS Discovery D185
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Discovery (74E3)|
|Cruise period||1989-08-18 — 1989-09-17|
|Port of departure||Barry, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Funchal, Portugal|
|Objectives||1. To obtain a series of benthic and benthopelagic samples at two abyssal localities in the North Atlantic, one at 48 50'N, 16 30'W and one at 31N, 20W using the multiple corer, box corer, epibenthic sledge, otter trawl and multiple rectangular midwater trawl.
2. To deploy a Bathysnap and IOSDL sediment trap mooring for about two weeks at the northern locality and to leave both rigs for a long term deployment at the southern locality.
3. To make a minimum of 10 deployments of the University of Aberdeen baited fish camera rig at each of the two main stations.
4. To make two CTD casts covering the whole water column at each of the main stations and a series of casts to 2000m at 100nautical mile intervals on the passage between them.
5. To obtain a series of benthic samples on the Goban Spur, including a test of the refurbished fine-meshed IOS epibenthic sledge.
6. To obtain two epibenthic sledge samples close to the Isles of Scilly.
Associated with the main sampling programme, a series of specific investigations were to be conducted during the cruise. These were to include water column and benthic microbiology, holothurian feeding morphology and bacterial associates, and fish parasitology.
|Chief scientist||Anthony L Rice (Institute of Oceanographic Sciences Deacon Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(1.42 MB)|
|General||North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)|
|Track charts||(0.01 MB)|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Zooplankton||Quantity: number of stations = 6|
|Nekton||Quantity: number of stations = 6|
|Pelagic bacteria/micro-organisms||Quantity: number of stations = 8|
|Benthic bacteria/micro-organisms||Quantity: number of stations = 1|
|Zoobenthos||Quantity: number of stations = 32|
Description: description, distribution, biomass, classification, population structures
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of stations = 9|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of stations = 3|
|Taggings||Quantity: number of stations = 9|