British Enterprise III BE0190
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||British Enterprise III (74BZ)|
|Cruise period||1990-01-09 — 1990-01-29|
|Port of departure||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||DAFS charter - Fish survey.
1. To determine the horizontal distribution of herring larvae in the northern North Sea, in relation to the boundary between the North Sea water, the Norwegian Coastal Current, and the deep inflow of Atlantic water from the north.
2. To accurately map the boundary of the Coastal Current, and the core of the inflow using temperature, salinity and nitrate as tracers, and with reference to satellite photographs.
3. To investigate the 3-dimensional structure of water currents along a section of the current boundary and inflow region using the Acoustic Doppler Current Profiler.
4. To investigate the 3-dimensional distribution of herring larvae and zooplankton along a section of the current boundary and in the inflow region using LOCHNESS and ARIES, and estimate the exchange rate of larvae between the North Sea and Coastal Current waters.
5. To investigate the vertical migration behaviour of herring larvae and zooplankton using LOCHNESS and ARIES.
6. To obtain samples of herring larvae for estimation of growtth rate and biochemical condition indices.
7. To carry out prey selection experiments on herring larvae.
8. To compare the productivity and composition of the zooplankton and phytoplankton in the North Sea and Norwegian Coastal Current waters, and assess the relative suitability of the two water types for supporting the growth of herring larvae.
|Chief scientist||Mike R Heath (Scottish Office Agriculture and Fisheries Department Aberdeen Marine Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.18 MB)|
|Specific||Northern North Sea.|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Description: whole duration of cruise|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 13|
|Subsurface temperature and salinity measurements|
|Transparency (eg transmissometer)|
|Current profiler (eg ADCP)||Description: hull mounted whole cruise|
|Other physical oceanographic measurements||Description: fluorescence|
|Other physical oceanographic measurements||Description: comps sat photos|
Description: continuous flow analyser
|Biology and fisheries|
|Primary productivity||Quantity: 4|
|Biochemical measurements (eg lipids, amino acids)||Description: RNA/DNA analysis|
|Phytoplankton||Description: tows of aries, Lochness|
|Zooplankton||Description: MIKT large and small, and gulf III|
|Eggs and larvae|