RV Cirolana CIR2/91
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1991-02-01 — 1991-02-25|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. Collect and process surface water samples from the southern North Sea and Channel, for Sb-125, Ru-106, Cs-137 and Tc-99, as part of a MAST project. (ACA5, COGEMA).
2. Collect and analyse surface water samples for nutrients, and collect surface sediment for organic micro-contaminants, from the S North Sea (BGC2, North Sea Task Force).
3. Study the particle and colloidal associations of Pu, Am and Th radionuclides in Irish Sea seawater using a variety of innovative techniques. (ACB8, ACA5, UCD, AUN).
4. Continue to study the speciation of Pu in the waters and sediments of the western Irish Sea. (UCD).
5. Collect and process surface water samples from the eastern Irish Sea to determine the concentrations of the naturally-occurring radionuclides Th-230, Th-234, U-238, Po-210 and Ra-226, to assess the impact of discharges from BNF Springfields and the Marchon plant at Whitehaven. (ACB4).
6. Assess the effectiveness of the benthos, in particular Amphiura filiformis, at mediating the transfer of dissolved and particulate forms across the sediment-water interface. (ACB1).
7. Investigate the effect of combined wave and current stresses on cohesive sediment resuspension and transport. (ACB6, COSEDS Group).
8. Complete the study of the behaviour of C-14 in the eastern Irish Sea. (ACBA, SURRC).
|Chief scientist||Peter John Kershaw (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.21 MB)|
Irish Sea and St. George's Channel
|Specific||North Sea, Channel and Irish Sea|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Quantity: track kilometres = 1852|
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 80|
Description: S only
|Current meters||Quantity: number of stations = 4|
Description: 10 meters deployed
|Phosphate||Quantity: number of stations = 97|
|Nitrate||Quantity: number of stations = 97|
|Nitrite||Quantity: number of stations = 60|
|Silicate||Quantity: number of stations = 95|
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of stations = 93|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Quantity: number of stations = 12|
Description: bottom sediment - for fauna & radionuclide analysis
|Moorings, landers, buoys|
|Current meters||54° 28' 59" N 3° 42' 0" W — 2 meters, dir, sp. & temp. Deployed|
|Current meters||54° 13' 0" N 3° 23' 59" W — 2 meters, dir, sp. & temp. Deployed|
|Current meters||54° 22' 0" N 3° 45' 0" W — 4 meters, dir, sp. & temp. Deployed.|
|Current meters||54° 23' 59" N 3° 37' 59" W — 2 meters, dir, sp. & temp. Deployed & near bed velocity measurements.|