RV Cirolana CIR6/91
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1991-06-20 — 1991-07-14|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To conduct biological effects monitoring studies and associated physical measurements and chemical analyses at stations established by the North Sea Task Force in the North Sea and English Channel (MMP), and under the associated National Monitoring Progamme (NMP) in the Irish Sea and Bristol Channel.
2. To evaluate a Microtox sediment bioassay technique.
3. To collect water column samples for PAH analysis along a transect across the Dover Straits as part of the FLUXMANCHES programme.
4. To investigate the distribution of lindane, triazines and related compounds in the vicinity of the Humber, Mersey, Tees and Tyne estuaries.
5. To collect samples of suspended particulate material for chlorobiphenyl analysis from coastal and estuarine areas.
6. To collect water samples from the English Channel for lindane analysis, as part of the ongoing study folowing the loss of MV Perintis in 1989.
7. To collect water samples for the analysis of volatile 'Red List' substances in coastal and estuarine waters.
8. To carry out an anchor dredge survey of dredged and non-dredged areas within the Thames/Harwich region.
9. To conduct trials of a prototype Marne Position Recorder.
10. To collect sediment samples from stations along the cruise track not previously sampled for the JMG baseline survey.
(Note: Aimes 9 and 10 are additional aims not on the original cruise programme.)
|Chief scientist||Robin John Law (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Burnham Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.15 MB)|
Irish Sea and St. George's Channel
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Quantity: activity duration in days = 24|
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 128|
Description: surface salinity only
|Phosphate||Quantity: number of samples = 131|
|Nitrate||Quantity: number of samples = 131|
|Nitrite||Quantity: number of samples = 84|
|Silicate||Quantity: number of samples = 131|
|Other contaminant measurements||Quantity: number of samples = 103|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Quantity: number of samples = 99|