RV Cirolana CIR7/91
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1991-08-09 — 1991-09-05|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To carry out a groundfish survey of the North Sea using a standard Granton Trawl in order to obtain information on:
(a) Distribution and abundance of all fish species.
(b) Length and age distribution of commercially important species.
(c) Distribution of fish in relation to their environment.
(d) Distribution of macrobenthos.
2. To collect material for fish samples for Caesium analysis from a grid of stations in the North Sea.
3. To collect material for fish identification courses.
4. To provide fish samples for contaminant analysis for inclusion in the North Sea Task Force Quality Status Report (A Franklin).
5. To collect samples of heart, gonad or brain from various Gadidae for Dr P Peppin, Department of Fisheries and Oceans, Canada.
6. To collect samples of spawning herring for Dr G Carvalho, University of Wales.
7. To compare catch rates made with alternative trawl rigs used during the survey.
8. To collect stomach samples for the 1991 ICES stomach sampling programme.
|Chief scientist||John G Pope (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.14 MB)|
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of samples = 57|
Description: Caesium in seawater analysis
|Other chemical oceanographic measurements||Quantity: number of profiles = 87|
Description: uncalibrated CTD sensors: data not retained
|Biology and fisheries|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 89|
Description: Granton trawl hauls.