RV Cirolana CIR9/92
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1992-08-14 — 1992-09-14|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||South Shields, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To carry a out groundfish survey of the North Sea using a standard GOV trawl in order to obtain information on:
(a) Distribution and abundance of all fish species.
(b) Length and age distribution of commercially important species.
(c) Distribution of fish in relation to their environment.
(d) Distribution of macrobenthos and anthropogenic debris.
2. To collect fish samples for Caesium analysis from selected areas in the North Sea.
3. To investigate variance caused by different fish sampling strategies.
4. To collect material for fish identification courses.
5. To provide fish samples for contaminant analysis for inclusion in the North Sea Task Force Quality Status Report.
6. To make a general investigation of an area east of the Farne Islands for the Sea Mammal Research Unit.
7. To collect samples of whiting for Dr Williams, Department of Zoology, National Museum of Wales.
8. To collect samples of herring for the study of Ichthyophonus disease.
9. To collect gall bladders and biological data from samples of saithe.
10. To make further trials with canvas kites with the GOV trawl. The trials with the canvas kites were marred by gear damage and the winch breakdown.
11. To make a collection of photographs depicting survey activites for use in displays of FSM1 work.
12. To collect biological data from grey gurnard, angler fish, pollack, tusk, and four-bearded rockling, as material for the IBTS.
13. To collect samples of morlog for the British Geological Survey.
|Chief scientist||C Timothy Macer (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.11 MB)|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 75|
Description: 1 with T only top & bottom
|Biology and fisheries|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 74|