RV Cirolana CIR11/92
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1992-10-20 — 1992-11-21|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To carry out a groundfish survey of the North Sea using a standard GOV trawl in order to obtain information on:
(a) Distribution and abundance of all fish species.
(b) Length and age distribution of commercially important species.
(c) Distribution of fish in relation to their environment.
(d) Distribution of macrobenthos and anthropogenic debris.
2. To co-ordinate all surveys for this quarter, arrange cover for any areas missed and organise intership calibration and variance estimates.
3. To collect material for fish identification courses.
4. To provide fish samples for contaminant analysis for inclusion in the North Sea Task Force Quality Status Report (A Franklin).
5. To make a general investigation of an area east of the Farne Islands for the Sea Mammal Research Unit.
6. To collect samples of herring (Clupea harengus) for the study of Ichtyophonus disease.
7. To further trial the canvas kites with the GOV trawl.
8 To collect biological data from grey gurnard (Eutrigla gurnardus), angler fish (Lophius spp.), pollack (Pollachius pollachius), tusk (Brosme brosme) and four-beard rockling (Rhinonemus cimbrius).
9. To collect fish food.
10. To sample whiting for molecular biological programme.
|Chief scientist||John G Pope (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.15 MB)|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 74|
Description: 2 with S only top & bottom
|Biology and fisheries|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of stations = 76|
Description: worked with GOV trawls.