RV Cirolana CIR2/93
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1993-02-03 — 1993-02-18|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To make simultaneous physical and chemical measurements (Tetrapod, CTD, thorium/uranium (Th/U) radionuclides) at 2 sites in the E Irish Sea over a 25 hour period (AE0104).
2. To lay the Tetrapod near the mouth of Morecambe Bay for a long-term deployment (recovery in April), as part of the COSEDS programme (AE0207).
3. To lay 2 current meter moorings in the Morecambe Bay area, to provide data for a hydrographic model. (AE0104).
4. To survey all the Tetrapod sites before occupation using side-scan sonar, sledge-mounted TV and Day grab samples, to check bedforms and sediment type (AE0104,207).
5. To obtain a sample of uncontaminated mud from west of the Isle of Man for an investigation of the Th/U/Pb radiochemical methods (AE0104).
6. To survey the entrance of the channel leading to Barrow using side-scan and TV sledge (AE0201).
7. To collect live Dab from a contaminated region of Liverpool Bay and the relatively clean waters of Cardigan Bay for a study of the effects of pollutants on Dab chromosomes and the immune system (AE0106).
8. To collect sediment samples in relation to the new dredge spoil site in the entrance of Morecambe Bay (AE0201).
|Chief scientist||Peter John Kershaw (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.13 MB)|
|General||Irish Sea and St. George's Channel|
|Current meters||Quantity: number of deployments = 3|
Description: 4 current meterss & 1 near-bed velocity meter deployed
|Radioactivity||Description: Thorium/Uranium analysis of sea water|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Description: Immune response studies|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Description: Day grab survey.|
|Core - soft bottom|
|Long/short range side scan sonar|
|Other geological/geophysical measurements||Description: U/W TV|
|Moorings, landers, buoys|
|Current meters||53° 58' 0" N 3° 2' 59" W — deploy 2 current meters|
|Current meters||53° 57' 0" N 3° 6' 0" W — deploy 2 current meters|
|Current meters||53° 57' 0" N 3° 13' 59" W — deploy near-bed velocity meter|