RV Cirolana CIR5/93
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1993-05-04 — 1993-06-02|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To deploy a moored current meter rig at 53º51'N 05º34'W to monitor continuously near-surface chlorophyll 'a' fluorescence, nitrate, salinity and light. To monitor temperature throughout the water column and near-surface/near-bottom current speed and direction.
2. To measure daily primary production at a number of sites within predetermined physical domains in the north-west Irish Sea.
3. To deploy and evaluate solar fluorometry as a measure of instantaneous primary production in conjunction with DANI.
4. To obtain estimates of zooplankton egg production in relation to both primary production and physical condition at the same sites as 2 above, and to collect copepod samples for ATC enzyme analysis.
5. To sample fish eggs and larvae in relation to physical domains in the north-west Irish Sea.
6. To estimate growth and condition of fish larvae in relation to temperature, food availability and phyical domain.
7. To deploy a sediment trap for DANI at the moored rig site.
8. To take sediment samples and large volume surface seawater samples at 14 sites off the Cumbrian coast as part of the May Whitehaven survey (AEP 1).
|Chief scientist||John H Nichols (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.44 MB)|
|General||Irish Sea and St. George's Channel|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Quantity: activity duration in days = 29|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 133|
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 92|
|Subsurface temperature measurements||Quantity: number of deployments = 1|
Description: + nitrate analyser
|Current meters||Quantity: number of deployments = 1|
Description: 3 current meters deployed
|Phosphate||Quantity: number of stations = 92|
|Nitrate||Quantity: number of stations = 92|
|Nitrite||Quantity: number of stations = 92|
|Ammonia||Quantity: number of stations = 92|
|Silicate||Quantity: number of stations = 92|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytoplankton pigs (eg chlorophyll, fluorescence)||Quantity: number of stations = 92|
|Phytoplankton||Quantity: number of stations = 121|
|Zooplankton||Quantity: number of stations = 121|
|Eggs and larvae||Quantity: number of stations = 49|
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Quantity: number of stations = 23|
Description: Solar fluorometer,measures sunlight induced chlorophyll
|Routine standard measurements||Quantity: activity duration in days = 29|
Description: 2 hrly wind speed & direction, air temp and cloud cover
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Quantity: number of samples = 14|
|Moorings, landers, buoys|
|Subsurface temperature measurements||53° 52' 0" N 5° 32' 59" W — + nitrate analyser|
|Current meters||53° 52' 0" N 5° 32' 59" W — deploy 3 cms|