RV Corystes COR12B/93
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Corystes (74RY)|
|Cruise period||1993-11-25 — 1993-12-07|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To conduct a survey of an experimentally dredged site off Norfolk, using grab, underwater camera and side-scan sonar.
2. To conduct trials with a Hamon grab using different bucket sizes.
3. To sample the sediments, benthos and fish (dab or flounder) at various North Sea NMP sites, using grab and trawl.
4. To sample a grid of stations on the Dogger Bank for a range of contaminants in sediments and benthos.
5. To deploy a Kasten core at the Silver Pitt and at other suitably muddy locations.
6. To conduct a side-scan sonar and benthos survey at an aggregate extraction site off Hastings.
7. To sample horse-mussels from the Humber/Wash area for biological and chemical analysis.
8. To conduct a bathymetric survey at a solid waste disposal site off the River Tyne, NE England.
1. To initiate sampling at and around aggregate dredging areas for analysis of fish gut contents.
2. To sample sediments off the Tyne as part of a temporal study of contaminant concentrations.
3. To sample the outer Thames estuary by beam trawl for litter content and benthos.
|Chief scientist||Hubert Llewelyn Rees (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Burnham Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.17 MB)|
|Specific||Dogger Bank, Humber, Wash|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 22|
Description: trawls made using both a 2 and 4m beam trawl
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Quantity: number of hauls = 6|
Description: Scallop dredge
|Geology and geophysics|
|Dredge||Quantity: number of deployments = 7|
|Grab||Quantity: number of samples = 138|
Description: Day grab
|Long/short range side scan sonar||Quantity: number of surveys = 2|
|Other geological/geophysical measurements||Quantity: number of deployments = 2|
Description: u/w camera