RV Corystes COR2A/94
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Corystes (74RY)|
|Cruise period||1994-02-04 — 1994-02-10|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. Trials of a new PC-based display for the sector scanner to be undertaken in parallel with the existing LSI scan converter system. Also, the sector scanner will be checked (acoustic source level, beam pattern, etc) in readiness for the next tracking cruise (2b/94), and an assessment made of interference from the broadband ADCP.
2. Ship noise trials - measurements of underwater noise radiated from RV Corystes in 'loaded' and 'unloaded' mode over a 10Hz to 20Hz frequency range. A static sonar buoy will be used for these measurements with its wide-band hyrdophone suspended at mid-water depth (overall depth > 20m). Acoustic spectra will modulate an RF carrier for transmission to Corystes for analysis and recording.
3. Check and calibrate 300kHz transponder and depth telemetry tags in readiness for the fish tracking part of the cruise (2b).
4. Trials on the latest versions of RoxAnn, Sextant, Sidescan (hardware, software, documentation, etc) and on satisfactory operation of the ADCP's remote keyboard.
5. GPS - Sercel differential-chain corrections trials, provision of positioning information for ADCP, and trials of the Ashtech GPS-based compass/pitch/roll system.
6. Trials of a new Vodafone mobile and CDLC modem for transferring data files ship-to-shore.
7. Trials of a fluid filled passive acoustic target as a possible for lobster pots using Lowrance LMS-300 192kHz echo sounder.
|Chief scientist||Michael H Beach (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.21 MB)|
|Specific||Southern North Sea|
|Other physical oceanographic measurements||Quantity: activity duration in days = 6|
Description: vodafone mobile,ship noise, depth telemetry tags etc
|Geology and geophysics|
|Long/short range side scan sonar||Description: trials|