RV Corystes COR11/94
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Corystes (74RY)|
|Cruise period||1994-09-23 — 1994-10-05|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To survey the sea bed and sample benthos at the experimental site off Anglesey (Ref 53.15.539N, 04.01.548W) fished intensively with a beam-trawl fitted with chain mat in April 1994.
2. To beam trawl and sample the experimental site along the four lines designated for frequent fishing disturbance (two times per year) using two intensities of fishing (x10 and x20 tows).
3. To estimate the survival of animals caught in the cod-end using the on-board survival system over a prolonged period.
4. To film predators attracted to a baited camera frame and/or video camera on sledge on the sea bed using various components of the by-catch.
5. To quantify the number of macroepibenthic animals moving onto trawled tracks by sampling with a 3m beam trawl.
6. To measure the survival of animals which pass through the mesh of the beam trawl.
|Chief scientist||B E Spencer (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Conwy Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.13 MB)|
|General||Irish Sea and St. George's Channel|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Zoobenthos||Quantity: number of deployments = 136|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 35|
Description: beam trawl
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Description: underwater camera - film predators attracted to underwater camera|
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Quantity: number of measurements = 114|
Description: sea bed disturbance tests
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Description: survival of animals caught in codend|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Long/short range side scan sonar|