RV Clione CLI14/70
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Clione (74CN)|
|Cruise period||1970-11-06 — 1970-11-23|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||The cruise was planned to contribute to the programme of investigations being carried out by the MHLG Working Party on the disposal of sewage sludge in
Liverpool Bay and in particular to measure diffusion rates and related hydrographic
features in the area. RV CORELLA collaborated with RV CLIONE in carrying out the work.
The individual objectives were:-
1. To make and survey one or more releases of Rhodamine-B in the vicinity of the Mid-Grid buoy.
2. To lay and recover a network of 8 current meter stations in the eastern Irish Sea.
3. To change the current meters at the Mid-Grid buoy.
4. To monitor hydrographic conditions in the area of the diffusion experiment by means of serial observations.
5. To supplement the records of the moored current meters using direct reading current meters from the ship.
6. To attempt recovery of the two recording current meters that were left
south west of Anglesey from Cruise 12.
7. To attempt recovery of the equipment lost in the area in September by the Water Pollution Research Laboratory and by the Hydraulics Research Station.
|Chief scientist||John W Talbot (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.31 MB)|
Irish Sea and St. George's Channel
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 38|
Description: bottom only 4 with S only
|Current meters||Quantity: number of deployments = 7|
Description: 9 days using PRCM suppl. by DRCM
|Other physical oceanographic measurements||Quantity: number of deployments = 18|
Description: dynamic diffusion;dye release,Rhodamine-B