RV Cirolana CIR9/95
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1995-10-13 — 1995-11-14|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To carry out a groundfish survey of the North Sea using a standard GOV trawl in order to obtain information on:
(a) Distribution and abundance of all fish species.
(b) Length and age distribution of commercially important species.
(c) Distribution of fish in relation to their environment.
(d) Distribution of macrobenthos and anthropogenic debris.
(e) Surface and bottom temperature and salinity data using reversing bottles and CTD equipment.
2. To identify and sample macrobenthos, taking photographs as necessary for identification purposes.
3. To collect material for fish identification courses.
4. To provide fish samples for contaminant analysis.
5. To inspect herring (Clupea harengus) for the presence of Ichthyophonus and preserve any infected fish.
6. To collect biological data from Myoxecephalus scorpius (Bullrout), and Taurulus bubalis (Sea scorpion) as targetted by the ICES IBTS Working Group.
7. To trial TRS equipment for fish sorting and size grading. (TRS)
8. To carry out repeat tows at a number of locations to investigate within-survey variance at a station.
9. To collect haddock samples from near Shetland for Jarie Mork.
10. To collect samples of Aphrodite (Sea mouse) for biological studies by C Mettam, University of Cardiff.
11. To collect and freeze samples of cod, haddock, whiting, saithe, hake, plaice, sole, turbot, brill, lemon, megrim, herring, mackerel, scad, pilchard, rays, anglerfish for lecture photographs (faxed request received 8 Novemeber). The available specimens of the species listed were disappointing.
|Chief scientist||John Cotter (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.12 MB)|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 75|
Description: top & bottom
|Biology and fisheries|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of stations = 75|
Description: GOV trawl, groundfish survey