RV Corystes COR6/95
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Corystes (74RY)|
|Cruise period||1995-05-31 — 1995-06-18|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To conduct further sampling at an experimentally dredged area off the Norfolk coast, using grab. Side-scan sonar and underwater camera.
2. To sample the sediments and benthos off the Tyne for time-series studies using grab, core and beam trawl.
3. To obtain further samples of the benthos on the Dogger Bank for contaminant analyses, along with sediments for a PML project.
4. To sample horse-mussels from the Humber/Wash area for later analyses of contaminants in flesh.
5. To survey the sediments and benthos at Area 107 (a sand extraction area in the Wash) using grab, trawl and side-scan sonar.
6. To sample the benthos of gravels off the Humber and Lowestoft using the Hamon grab.
7. To collect samples of fish stomachs at gravel areas off Cromer and Lowestoft for analysis of feeding activity.
8. To conduct a survey at the Nab Tower dredgings disposal site, Isle of Wight, using side-scan sonar and grab.
9. To conduct a survey at a dredgings disposal site off Milford Haven using side-scan sonar and grab.
10. To conduct a survey of the sediments and benthos at the Barrow-in-Furness dredged material disposal site using grab and side-scan sonar.
11. To sample sediments at a dredgings disposal site in Swansea Bay for meiofauana and contaminant content.
12. To conduct a survey at the Hastings Shingle Bank aggregate extraction site using a Hamon grab.
13. To conduct a survey of the sediments and benthos at the Roughs Tower dredged material disposal site using grab, side-scan sonar and underwater camera.
14. To collect 2-metre beam trawl samples of the epifauna at selected NMP sites to complete coverage of the England and Wales coastline.
15. To collect sediment samples from an inflatable boat within selected industrialised estuaries for contaminant analysis.
16. To collect beam trawl samples at representative locations for the analysis of litter content.
17. To identify offshore locations in the North Sea, English Channel and Irish Sea suitable for the long-term monitoring of temporal trendss in the benthos and sediments.
18. To sample the meiofauna at selected waste disposal and aggregate extraction sites.
|Chief scientist||Hubert Llewelyn Rees (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Burnham Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.25 MB)|
Irish Sea and St. George's Channel
|Specific||North Sea, English Channel and Celtic Sea|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 17|
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Quantity: number of deployments = 1|
Description: underwater TV
|Geology and geophysics|
|Dredge||Quantity: number of deployments = 2|
|Grab||Quantity: number of samples = 135|
Description: Hamon and Day grab.
|Core - soft bottom||Quantity: number of cores = 15|
|Long/short range side scan sonar||Quantity: number of stations = 7|