RV Corystes COR11A/95
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Corystes (74RY)|
|Cruise period||1995-10-24 — 1995-11-07|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Liverpool, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To survey the seabed and sample benthos at the experimental site off Anglesey (ref. 53.25.5N; 04.01.5W) fished intensively with a beam-trawl fitted with chain mat for the last time in October 1994.
2. To film predators attracted to baited camera frames/and/or a frame mounted video camera on the sea bed using various components of the by-catch.
3. To quantify the number of macro-epibenthic animals moving onto trawled tracks and control areas by sampling with a 3m beam trawl.
4. To estimate scavenging amphipod abundance with baited traps.
5. To estimate scavenger populations at an intensively fished site off Fleetwood.
6. To compare damage rates of indicator species such as starfish in areas of different fishing intensity, i.e. off Anglesey and Fleetwood.
7. To collect live invertebrate scavenger species for experimental feeding and behavioural studies at Conwy.
All the aims were successfully completed.
|Chief scientist||B E Spencer (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Conwy Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.17 MB)|
|General||Irish Sea and St. George's Channel|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Zoobenthos||Description: benthos survey|
|Demersal fish||Description: fished and control lines sampled with the 3m beam trawl to detect changes in epifaunal abundances due to fishing activity.|
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Description: baited traps for scavengers|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Description: day grab|
|Long/short range side scan sonar||Description: echo and side-scan survey of fishing ground 12 nautical miles west of Fleetwood.|