RV Cirolana CIR8/96
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1996-08-09 — 1996-09-09|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To carry out a groundfish survey of the North Sea using a standard GOV trawl in order to obtain information on:
(a) Distribution and abundance of all fish species.
(b) Length and age distribution of commercially important species.
(c) Distribution of fish in relation to their environment.
(d) Distribution of macrobenthos and anthropogenic debris.
(e) Surface and bottom temperature and salinity data using Niskin bottles.
2. To collect material fish for identification course (T Watson).
3. To inspect herring (Clupea harengus) for the presence of Ichthyophonus and to preserve any infected fish. (S Feist, Weymouth).
4. To preserve material from diseased fish. (S Feist, Weymouth).
5. To carry out trial tows using a 2m beam trawl for sampling epibenthos as part of the biodiversity project.
6. To investigate starfish damage as an indicator of trawling intensity (M Kaiser, Conwy).
7. To carry out replicate hauls to investigate between-haul variance.
8. To collect tissue samples from cod in the northern North Sea. (R Millner).
9. To collect seawater samples for analysis of caesium.
|Chief scientist||C Timothy Macer (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.09 MB)|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 74|
Description: surface & bottom
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of samples = 38|
Description: surface samples for caesium analysis
|Biology and fisheries|
|Zoobenthos||Quantity: number of hauls = 38|
Description: Epibenthic survey
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 72|
Description: trawl stations