RV Cirolana CIR10/96
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1996-10-22 — 1996-11-23|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To carry out a groundfish survey of the North Sea using a standard GOV trawl in order to obtain information on:
a) distribution and abundance of all fish species;
b) length and age distribution of commercially important species;
c) distribution of fish in relation to their environment;
d) distribution of macrobenthos and anthropogenic debris;
e) surface and bottom temperature and salinity.
2. To identify and record macrobenthos, taking photographs as necessary for identification purposes.
3. To collect material for fish identification courses.
4. To preserve material from diseased fish.
5. To inspect herring (Clupea harengus) for the presence of Ichthyophonus and to preserve any infected fish.
6. To carry out repeat tows at selected locations (as time permits) to further investigate within-survey variance at a station.
|Chief scientist||John Cotter (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.15 MB)|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 74|
Description: Surface & bottom
|Biology and fisheries|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 66|
Description: using 2m beam trawl
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 75|
Description: using standard IYFS trawl