RV Corystes COR4/96
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Corystes (74RY)|
|Cruise period||1996-02-29 — 1996-03-27|
|Port of departure||Swansea, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To carry out a trawl survey of the Celtic Sea, to obtain information on:
a) Distribution, size composition and abundance of all fish species
b) Age-length distributions of selected species.
2. To sample juvenile fish for recruitment studies.
3. To collect material for fish identification courses.
4. To collect and preserve frozen all scallops that are caught.
5. To continue the collection of stomach content data begun on earlier cruises. No supplementary data on stomach contents were recorded.
6. To continue trials and development of electronic data capture equipment.
7. To collect samples of herring for the study of the incidence of Ichthyophonus disease.
8. To monitor the distribution and abundance, and collect samples, of Ommastrephid squids.
9. To collect and preserve frozen samples of cod, whiting, plaice and dab from selected areas to provide data for the QSR of the Celtic Sea (AEP2).
|Chief scientist||Stephen Flatman (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.29 MB)|
|Specific||Irish Sea, Bristol Channel, Celtic Sea, Western Approaches|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Quantity: activity duration in days = 27|
Description: continuous recording throughout the cruise.
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 82|
Description: 1 top & bottom S 81 surface S only
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 33|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 62|
Description: ground fish survey with Portugese high headline trawl