FRV Scotia 1196S
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||FRV Scotia (749S)|
|Cruise period||1996-06-20 — 1996-07-08|
|Port of departure||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To obtain estimates of distribution and abundance of Nephrops in the Fladen Ground, Firth of Forth, Moray Firth, North Minch, Noup and Burra Haaf at Shetland using underwater television.
2. To evaluate the use of the RoxAnn seabed discrimination system for estimating burrow density.
3. To collect samples of the sediment at each TV station.
4. To use trawl caught samples of Nephrops to examine biological features at different sites throughout the survey areas and to collect samples for genetic analysis.
5. To make use of the TV survey to estimate the densities of whelks and to use the trawl surveys to collect biological data on the various species encountered. Data on other shellfish species of potential commercial importance will also be collected if time permits.
6. To sample Nephrops larvae at sites across the Fladen Ground using a Methot Net.
|Chief scientist||Nick Bailey (Scottish Office Agriculture Environment and Fisheries Department Aberdeen Marine Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.16 MB)|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Specific||Fladen Ground, Firth of Forth, Moray Firth, North Minch, Noup|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Crustaceans||Quantity: number of hauls = 12|
Description: for Nephrops using a 50mm Prawn Net.
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Quantity: number of samples = 127|
Description: Day grabs
|Magnetic measurements||Quantity: number of deployments = 3|
|Other geological/geophysical measurements||Description: RoxAnn|
|Other geological/geophysical measurements||Quantity: number of deployments = 127|
Description: TV Sledge tows