RV Cirolana CIR5A/97
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1997-05-23 — 1997-06-06|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Swansea, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To conduct further sampling at an experimentally dredged area off the Norfolk coast, using grab, side-scan sonar and underwater camera in order to establish the time required for recovery of sea bed fauna.
2. To sample horse-mussels from the Humber/Wash area for later analyses of contaminants in flesh.
3. To survey dredged material disposal sites off the Tees and at Roughs Tower (outer Thames estuary) and Nab Tower (Isle of Wight), using grab and side-scan sonar.
4. To collect sediment samples at the Tees dredgings disposal site for later bioassay work.
5. To sample the sediments and benthos off the Tyne for time-series studies using grab, core and beam trawl.
6. To conduct characterisation studies at representative offshore NMP locations using grab, core, trawl and underwater camera, and to collect core samples for PCB and PAH analysis.
7. To collect water samples for the analysis of HCHs along a transect through the Channel, as part of the continuing monitoring following the loss of MV Perintis in 1989.
8. To collect samples of fish livers at selected coastal sites for various biomarker studies.
9. To conduct surveys at aggregate extraction sites off Lowestoft, Hastings and the Isle of Wight using the Hamon grab, beam trawl and acoustic techniques.
10. To collect beam trawl samples at representative locations for the analysis of litter content.
|Chief scientist||Hubert Llewelyn Rees (Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science Burnham Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.19 MB)|
|Specific||North Sea, English Channel, Celtic Sea|
|Track charts||(0.03 MB)|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Description: Day grab samples for later bioassay studies. Hamon grab for benthos samples.|
|Core - soft bottom||Description: Reineck cores|
|Bottom photography||Description: video images of offshore muddy locations east of the Humber and Tyne and in the Celtic Deep.|
|Long/short range side scan sonar||Description: side-scan sonar survey in the vicinity of the Cross Sands complex of aggregate dredged areas.|