RV Cirolana CIR5B/97
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1997-06-08 — 1997-06-23|
|Port of departure||Swansea, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To collect samples of demersal fish for chemical analysis from the North Sea and Irish Sea in support of the UK National Monitoring Programme (NMP), Environmental Quality Programmes and the EC Fish Products and Shellfish Hygiene Directive.
2. To deploy fractionation/bioassay techniques on water samples from offshore and estuarine locations for chemical analysis of organics and biological effects studies.
3. To collect samples from the Celtic Sea and Irish Sea for sediment and pore water bioassays in support of the Irish Sea QSR and in the development and evaluation of sediment bioassay techniques.
4. To collect fish samples at NMP sites for genetic toxicological analysis (eg. DNA adducts).
5. To further investigate the use of biomarker techniques in support of NMP and for developing and validating biological effects techniques for monitoring purposes.
6. To sample horse-mussels from the Humber/Wash area for latter analysis of contaminants in flesh.
7. To collect sediment samples at the Tees dredgings disposal site for later bioassay work.
8. To collect 3m beam trawl samples at selected NMP sites for the analysis of litter content.
9. To conduct characterisation studies at representative NMP sites and sites of special interest using a sediment grab and corer and to collect sediment core samples at selected NMP locations for PCB and PAH analysis.
|Chief scientist||John Edward Thain (Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science Burnham Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.19 MB)|
Irish Sea and St. George's Channel
|Specific||Bristol Channel, Celtic Sea, Irish Sea and North Sea|
|Track charts||(0.02 MB)|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 28|
Description: 20 litre water samples were taken from estuarine and coastal stations.
|Biology and fisheries|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Dredge||Description: Rock dredge deployed at several sites.|
|Grab||Quantity: number of stations = 14|
Description: Day Grab sampling grids
|Core - soft bottom||Quantity: number of cores = 16|
Description: sediment samples were collected in the Irish and Celtic Seas from NMP stations and sites of special interest using the Reineck Box Core