RV Corystes COR5C/98
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Corystes (74RY)|
|Cruise period||1998-05-16 — 1998-05-21|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To service two U shaped moorings and two single point moorings in the Thames estuary as part of the Smart Biophysical Moorings campaign (A1108).
2. Obtain replicate Hamon grabs at each of the three minipod sites and at the current meter site.
3. Comparison of video results generated from the towed camera system with those generated using the drop camera system. An Early Camera drop to assess visibility will be performed.
4. Run CEFAS standard sidescan over a survey grid for baseline comparison of various sidescan systems (objective from Corystes 4/98).
5. Collect particle size analysis samples from dedicated Hamon grabs to compare variability in size distribution with sample size.
6. Compare samples collected using the Scallop dredge against the Anchor dredge.
7. Compare three types of 2m beam trawl (standard 2m beam, Jennings type heavy duty 2m beam and Jennings type with Kaiser chafer bag adaption) and assess their relative effectiveness for the collection of benthic epifauna over differing substrate types.
8. Assess the quantity of material and species diversity of replicate beam trawl samples collected over various tow distances and over various substrates (200m - 1000m).
9. Obtain still photographic images during beam trawl tows to assess variability of the substrate over the length of the tow.
10. Deploy the Hamon grab with an attached video camera to observe effectiveness of sampling and nature of surrounding substrate.
11. Trial a sub bottom profiler for identification of biotopes.
12. Recover 3 Minipods and a mooring from the Cross Sands area and to obtain Day grab sediment samples for calibration purposes.
Due to there being very poor visibility, video surveying technique was not tested, therefore aims 3,9 and 10 were not completed.
|Chief scientist||William John Meadows (Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science Lowestoft Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.13 MB)|
|Specific||Thames and Cross Sands|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Demersal fish||Description: 2m beam trawls|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Description: Mini-Hamon, Hamon and Day grabs|
|Long/short range side scan sonar||Quantity: number of surveys = 3|
Description: side-scan sonar surveys.