RV Lough Foyle LF/23/92
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Lough Foyle (74LG)|
|Cruise period||1992-10-05 — 1992-10-13|
|Port of departure||Belfast, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Belfast, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||Technical conservation measures
1. To compare catch rates of a prawn trawl net fitted with a panel of square shaped mesh in its top sheet with one in which the top sheet has a panel of very large (150mm) diamond shaped mesh.
2. To examine the affect of longitudinal strengthening ropes of fish escapement from a prawn trawl fitted with a panel of square mesh.
3. To investigate fish escapement from a panel of square mesh of knotted twine compard to knotless twine fitted to a prawn trawl.
4. To collect population data on Nephrops and by catch at each station.
5. To collect basic size composition and meat yield data of trawl caught brown crab (Cancer pagurus).
6. To collect samples of squid for future analysis at University College Cork.
|Chief scientist||Richard P Briggs (Department of Agriculture for Northern Ireland)|
|Cruise report||(0.41 MB)|
|General||Irish Sea and St. George's Channel|
|Specific||Western Irish Sea.|
|Track charts||(0.02 MB)|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Crustaceans||Quantity: number of hauls = 14|
Description: Nephrops survey to determine distribution and abundance.
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Quantity: activity duration in hours = 36|
Description: RCTV and mini camera used to film fish escaping from the square mesh panels and of fish behaviour inside the net.