RV Cirolana CIR3B_1/99
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1999-05-22 — 1999-06-01|
|Port of departure||Swansea, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To survey dredged material disposal sites at Swansea Bay, Nab Tower (Isle of Wight), Roughs Tower (outer Thames estuary), Tees and Tyne (Souter Point) for trace metal contaminants, TBT, PAHs, nonylphenols, flame retardants and benthos, using grab and acoustic methods.
2. To conduct a characterisation survey at the Falmouth dredgings disposal site by means of grab, trawl, side-scan sonar and underwater camera.
3. To obtain meiofauna samples at inshore muddy sites near to major estuaries.
4. To sample representative offshore NMMP locations using grab, core and trawl for trace metal contaminants, nonylphenols, flame retardants and the banthic fauna.
5. To sample representative offshore NMMP locations for nutrients, chlorophyll and phytoplankton species.
6. To conduct surveys at aggregate extraction sites off the Isle of Wight and Lowestoft using grab, beam trawl, dredge and acoustic techniques.
7. To conduct pilot sampling at gravelly locations in the English Channel for later habitat mapping, including trials with a Rallier du Baty dredge.
8. To conduct a survey of the benthos and sediments at the Thames sewage-sludge disposal site.
|Chief scientist||Hubert Llewelyn Rees (Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science Burnham Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.42 MB)|
|Specific||Celtic Sea, English Channel, North Sea|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 2|
Description: 3m beam trawl sites
|Geology and geophysics|
|Dredge||Description: Rallier du Baty dredge used to sample the benthic fauna.|
|Grab||Description: series of Day grab samples, Shipek grab and Hamon grab.|
|Core - soft bottom||Quantity: number of cores = 4|
Description: multi-core samples collected for meiofauna.
|Bottom photography||Description: sea bed video images obtained at selected stations using a 'drop-camera' frame.|
|Long/short range side scan sonar||Description: trial of the Datasonics side-scan sonar system at an inshore site.|