RV Corystes COR4/99
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Corystes (74RY)|
|Cruise period||1999-05-05 — 1999-05-21|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To commission and calibrate new Simrad Dual frequency multibeam acoustic survey echo sounders.
2. To identify a sandeel ground/cod feeding area to serve as a suitable study site for M0317 (Predator-prey interactions).
3. To evaluate QTC and sidescan sonar methodologies for describing sediment type in relation to sandeel distribution and abundance.
4. To test the sector scanning sonar following refurbishment of the electrical wiring to the stablisation package.
5. To test transmission from 300 kHz transponding acoustic tags implanted in cod.
6. To evaluate methods for tagging cod with baited acoustic tags using underwater TV.
7. To evaluate the performance of CEFAS/LOTEK 300 and 76 kHz sonar buoys and acoustic tags at sea.
8. To evaluate methods (traps and long-lines) for catching cod in suitable condition for electronic tagging.
9. To evaluate acoustic & fishing survey methods for estimating abundance and distribution of sandeels.
10. To service hydrographic moorings in the Thames estuary.
|Chief scientist||Julian David Metcalfe (Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science Lowestoft Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.31 MB)|
|Track charts||(0.01 MB)|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Demersal fish||Description: Fishing with a Portuguese high headline trawl.|
|Taggings||Description: Tagging and tracking of cod.|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Description: Day grab used to ground-truth Questor Tangent Sea-view system.|
|Bottom photography||Description: Trials using an underwater TV frame.|
|Single-beam echosounding||Description: Questor Tangent Sea-view system used to survey a variety of areas on sandeel grounds.|