RV Cirolana CIR5/99
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1999-07-30 — 1999-08-10|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To conduct an extensive programme of benthic sampling at a gravelly area off Shoreham, using grab, dredge and underwater camera, following earlier survey work at this location (Corystes 6/99) using side-scan sonar and other acoustic devices.
2. To conduct a comparable, though smaller, programme of benthic sampling at a gravelly area off Dungeness, using grab, dredge and underwater camera, following earlier survey work at this location (Corystes 6/99) using side-scan sonar and other acoustic devices.
3. To conduct further acoustic surveys of the sea bed as necessary, to ensure comprehensive coverage of the Shoreham and Dungeness areas, following earlier work here on Corystes 6/99.
4. To deploy and later retrieve CTD microloggers in lobster pots.
5. To conduct further trials with the Rallier du Baty dredge, and evaluate the utility of data from towed gear in a habitat mapping context.
6. To process the bulk of the larger macrofauna from samples on deck and in the dry laboratory for evaluations of assemblage variability in relation to earlier acoustic output.
7. To retrieve a smart mooring at the Outer Gabbard NMMP site.
|Chief scientist||Hubert Llewelyn Rees (Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science Burnham Laboratory)|
|Specific||English Channel, North Sea|