RV Corystes COR15/96
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Corystes (74RY)|
|Cruise period||1996-12-04 — 1996-12-21|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||One of a series of fish migration cruises to study the migratory behaviour of plaice in the North Sea.
1) To release approximately 180 adult plaice equipped with Mk I DFR data storage tags (DSTs) together with a similar number of control fish tagged with Petersen tags.
2) To estimate errors in determining swimming speed and direction of fish tracked with Sector Scanning Sonar by "tracking" an acoustic tage mounted on static gear.
3) To test the light gathering performance of a Mk III DST on static gear near the sea bed (to be carried out in conjunction with Aim 2).
4) To estimate swimming speed and orientation of plaice on their pre-spawing migration by simultaneous use of Sector Scanning Sonar and ADCP.
5) To compare sonar tracking and DST technologies on a free-ranging fish by tracking a plaice equipped with both types of tag.
|Chief scientist||Julian David Metcalfe (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(2.41 MB)|
|Specific||southern North Sea|
|Current profiler (eg ADCP)||Quantity: number of profiles = 3600|
Description: Speed and direction of water currents averaged over 10m periods in 4m depth bins during fish tracking
|Biology and fisheries|
|Taggings||Quantity: number of specimens = 208|
Description: Taggings of 109 plaice equipped with Mk I data storage tags were released, 99 plaice with Peterson Discs successfully released
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Quantity: number of measurements = 3600|
Description: Geographical position and depth of tracked fish determined every 10m by Sector Scanning Sonar (to give range, bearing from ship and depth)
|Moorings, landers, buoys|
|Current meters||52° 30' 0" N 2° 4' 59" E — Aanderaa current meter and 2 pressure sensing (1 also light sensing) data storage tags - deployed 1200h, 05/12/96; recovered 1500h 06/12/96|
|Sea level (inc. bot. press., inverted echosounder)||52° 30' 0" N 2° 4' 59" E — Aanderaa current meter and 2 pressure sensing (1 also light sensing) data storage tags - deployed 1200h, 05/12/96; recovered 1500h 06/12/96|