RV Lough Foyle LF/07/93
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Lough Foyle (74LG)|
|Cruise period||1993-02-28 — 1993-03-14|
|Port of departure||Belfast, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Belfast, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||Demersal fish survey
1. Obtain information on spatial patterns of abundance of different size- age-classes of demersal fish in the northern Irish Sea during Spring.
2. Obtain indices of abundance of juvenile fish for use in future stock assessments, and to evaluate the utility of a Spring survey for providing indices of abundance of adult gadoids.
3. To examine catch-rates in relation to the abundance and vertical distribution of targets in the water column, as inferred from echo-intergration during each trawl.
4. Determine the diet composition and feeding levels of predatory fish, and the spatial overlap of predators and their prey.
5. Map the distribution of eggs and larvae of cod and other species in the plankton.
6. Determine pollutant and contaminent levels in samples of water and sediment, and in bodies of trawl-caught dabs at and near the National Monitoring Plan site off Dundrum Bay (DED/ISC project)
7. Collect dabs and squid for projects at the University College Cork.
|Chief scientist||Mike Armstrong (Department of Agriculture for Northern Ireland)|
|Cruise report||(0.39 MB)|
|General||Irish Sea and St. George's Channel|
|Specific||Irish Sea and North Channel|
|Track charts||(0.04 MB)|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Eggs and larvae||Quantity: number of hauls = 52|
Description: Vertical Bongo net hauls for enumeration of eggs and early larvae of cod and other species.
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of stations = 46|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Quantity: number of stations = 9|
Description: Day grab.
|Single-beam echosounding||Quantity: number of stations = 46|