RV Corella 8/71
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Corella (74CX)|
|Cruise period||1971-04-29 — 1971-05-09|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To carry out a survey of the distributions of fish eggs and larvae in the Southern Bight and Flamborough spawning grounds in the North Sea.
2. To monitor turbidity, chlorophyll 'a' and temperature continuously in
the sea surface water.
3. To record fish traces using a MS 29 echo sounder.
4. To measure temperature/depth profiles and Iight penetration at selected stations.
5. To collect samples of water for trace element analysis by atomic absorption spectrophotometry.
6. To collect samples of live planktonic copepods.
7. To carry out vertical distribution studies of fish larvae using the Lowestoft changing net sampler.
8. To try out a neuston net for fish larvae living close to the surface.
|Chief scientist||Derek Harding (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.18 MB)|
|Water bottle stations||Description: T.D. profiles only 129 surface|
|Optics (eg underwater light levels)||Description: turbidity light penetration at 8 selec. stations|
|Trace elements||Description: water samp. for analysis|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytoplankton pigs (eg chlorophyll, fluorescence)||Description: chlorophyll a cont.|
|Phytoplankton||Quantity: number of stations = 131|
|Zooplankton||Quantity: number of stations = 131|
|Neuston||Quantity: number of samples = 1|
|Eggs and larvae||Quantity: number of stations = 131|
|Occasional standard measurements|
|Other meteorological measurements||Description: sea and swell|
|Geology and geophysics|