RV Lough Foyle LF/15/97
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Lough Foyle (74LG)|
|Cruise period||1997-04-04 — 1997-04-10|
|Port of departure||Belfast, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Belfast, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||The two objectives of this cruise were to study the coupling between primary and secondary production at the start of the spring phytoplankton bloom and quantify the flux of particulate organic carbon to the benthos. Detailed objectives were to:
1. Quantify phytoplankton production in two size fractions (whole and <5.0 um).
2. Quantify the impact of zooplankton grazing on the phytoplankton community.
3. Collect samples of phytoplankton and zooplankton for later identification and enumeration.
4. Collect sediment samples for the determination of sediment pigment concentration.
5. Collect water samples for the determination of particulate aluminium and dissolved inorganic nutrients.
6. Service the DANI moorings.
|Chief scientist||Richard Gowen (Department of Agriculture for Northern Ireland)|
|Cruise report||(0.08 MB)|
|General||Irish Sea and St. George's Channel|
|Specific||Western Irish Sea and Liverpool Bay.|
|Track charts||(0.01 MB)|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Zooplankton||Quantity: activity duration in hours = 3|
Description: Zooplankton were collected every 3 hours using a vertical haul net.
|Crustaceans||Quantity: activity duration in days = 1|
Description: Copepod grazing experiment conduected over a 24 hour period