RV Corystes COR5/01
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Corystes (74RY)|
|Cruise period||2001-06-01 — 2001-06-19|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
1. To trial Simrad EM 3000 multibeam echo sounder and Neptune and Triton software
1. To tag cod with coded acoustic tags and deploy VEMCO sonar buoy to monitor their subsequent residence within the vicinity of the sandeel survey area (western Dogger Bank). This aim is dependent on identifying a suitable tagging site during COR 4/01.
2. To use acoustic and fishing survey methods to estimate the abundance and distribution of sandeels on sandeel fishing grounds on the western Dogger Bank.
3. To use QTC to describe sea bed sediment type in relation to sandeel distribution and abundance.
4. To carry out a survey for cod tagged with coded acoustic tags using the CEFAS towed hydrophone on the eastern end of the Dogger Bank (LIFECO).
5. To service moored CEFAS 76 kHz sonar buoy on the Indefatigable Bank.
|Chief scientist||Julian David Metcalfe (Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science Lowestoft Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.17 MB)|
|Track charts||(0.16 MB)|
|CTD stations||Description: plankton samples were made at regular intervals along the survey grid.|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytoplankton||Description: plankton samples were made at regular intervals along the survey grid.|
|Zooplankton||Description: plankton samples were made at regular intervals along the survey grid.|
|Pelagic fish||Description: semi-pelagic trawl for sandeels.|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Dredge||Quantity: number of hauls = 10|
Description: six minute tows using a 1.2m sandeel dredge.
|Single-beam echosounding||Description: acoustic survey of the sea bed within a marine aggregate extraction licence area using a QTC.|
|Multi-beam echosounding||Description: acoustic survey of the sea bed within a marine aggregate extraction licence area using the EM3000 multibeam echo sounder.|
|Multi-beam echosounding||Description: Acoustic survey carried out using the Simrad EK500 in order to determine the distribution and abundance of any sandeelsin the area.|